Before novice aquarists sometimes the question arises: why do we need an Fish Tank Filter and which one is better to choose – internal or external? In what article are the differences between the two types of filters and whether they are needed at all.
What is needed and how it works
The main purpose of the internal Fish Tank Filter – cleaning and oxygen enrichment of water to improve the state of the living environment of the inhabitants of the aquarium. So you can definitely say: yes, the filter is needed.
Such a device is a small cylinder with side suction openings with a pump attached to it. In the case is one or more filters. In the simplest embodiment, the filter element is foam rubber. Water under the action of pressure, passing through the porous structure of foam rubber, leaves all the garbage in the cells, and returns back to the aquarium.
Saprophytic bacteria accumulate in the foam rubber, colonies of these microorganisms purify the water in the aquarium from organic waste, turning them into inorganic substances. The device looks like a glass. Aquarists often call him that.
What is different from the outside
External filter – it is a hermetically sealed container with filtration material inside, which has two tubes. Through one water enters the device, through the other – back into the aquarium is already purified. As the name implies, it is attached outside the aquarium.
In relation to the internal has both a number of advantages and disadvantages. Among the advantages are the following:
- choose the fillers yourself;
- less often requires washing;
- higher performance than internal;
- large amount of filter materials;
- the possibility of "upgrade" (heater, UV sterilizer, etc.).
Among the shortcomings we note:
- high (compared to internal) noise level;
- flushing takes longer than the internal, although less frequent;
- less reliable (under certain circumstances it is possible to flood the neighbors from below, while if the internal filter breaks, all the water remains in the aquarium);
- The price is much higher.
How to choose
If you decide to opt for an Fish Tank Filter of the internal type, things are easy: find the one that suits you completely in terms of technical characteristics, price and, possibly, appearance.
The main technical characteristic to which attention should be paid is – this is performance. Also see if the force and direction of flow is regulated, if there is an additional section to fill with coal.
Such indicators as power consumption, of course, should be taken into account, but with modern devices, even in different price categories, this indicator is not very different.
Bundle and build quality
When choosing a filter, pay attention to the following details in the configuration:
- quality sponge and cleaning cassettes;
- the complexity of the design of the removable part;
- quality suction cups;
- easy disassembly of the case.
Leading filter brands – “Sera”, “Fluval”, “Aquael”, “Eheim”, “Tetra”, “Barbus”. These manufacturers have proven themselves in this niche quite well and produce devices designed for a very different user:
- for example, a Russian-Chinese company "Barbus" produces devices of budget class, but of quite decent quality;
- polish "Aquael»Differs in some original solutions: there are devices in the line that can be mounted horizontally. Compact, but powerful enough, due to increase in a filtering surface, the Unifilter model;
- Deutsch "Eheim" is the elite in this segment, its only drawback is the ceramic axis of the impeller, so it must be disassembled very carefully for cleaning;
- Italian technology "Fluval"- long-lived and recognized leader. His model “Fluval4 Plus” has an interesting detail – the indicator of the power of the flow of water;
- Germanic "Sera", on the combination of price and quality, perhaps the best option.
Internal filters for the aquarium cost $ 10-40. There are, of course, exceptions both to the larger and to the smaller side. But for this amount you can buy a very decent machine, it makes no sense to overpay for such a device, and for a smaller amount you are unlikely to get a filter of more or less normal quality.
How to install
Installing an internal filter is usually not a big deal, but still you need to know some nuances:
- To begin with, water should be poured into the aquarium (at least half, the filter should not be idling).
- Dry all parts of the device before assembling them.
- The filter is attached to the suction cup in such a way that the surface is about 3 cm, and the device should not touch the bottom. In the event that the depth is small, try to leave a greater distance from the surface, but remember that the device should not lie on the bottom.
- The device must be turned off while immersing it in water.
- The air intake tube is brought out, and it is desirable to have a lock for it.
- The distance to the outlet must be chosen so that the wire hangs freely, without the slightest tension. If everything is ready, you can turn on the network.
- Look, if there is a flow, then you did everything right.
Video: how to install an internal filter
The valve serves to regulate the pressure and direction of the flow of water after cleaning. But before doing adjustment, you should turn off the device from the network, do not forget about it.
How often to wash and how to clean
It is necessary to distinguish between complete cleaning of the filter and simply washing the sponge. The sponge should be washed as it is polluted; you can even remove it every time you add water and rinse it several times in the drained aquarium water (if necessary). But the capital cleaning of the device is carried out on average once every two months. This is done as follows:
- Turn off the filter and remove it from the water.
- Remove the glass and remove the sponge from the device.
- The sponge is washed with water drained from the aquarium, so we keep the colonies of saprophytes, which is home to a sponge.
- The housing of the device with a brush (it is convenient to use a toothbrush) and running water should be thoroughly cleaned.
- The rotor of the device, like all other parts, is also perfectly cleaned with a toothbrush.
- After all parts have been cleaned and cleaned, reassemble the device and reinstall it.
Video: How to clean the Fish Tank Filter
Fish Tank Filter – An important detail that will help keep the water clean, and thus protect the inhabitants of the aquarium from various diseases. Knowing the features of these devices and the rules for their selection, you can easily select a device for your home pond.