Aquarium is a closed biosystem. The waste products of fish, plants, snails, remnants of food, even house dust accumulated on the water surface, accumulate in an artificial reservoir. If you do not take measures to clean, the concentration of ammonia, nitrates and other toxic substances reaches a dangerous level. In such conditions, the fish get sick and die. Solves the problem of water filtration. Zooportal will tell you how to make the right choice of Fish Tank Filter.
Distinguish Three filtering methods: biological, chemical, mechanical. Mechanical filters are the simplest devices in which a sponge or foam catches solid particles. Determining mechanical filtration parameters: flow rate and density of the filtering material. Advantages of mechanics – a moderate price range, the ability to restore the device to operation, washing the filter material under water.
Chemical filtration based on carbon or chemical resins, adsorbing materials that trap dissolved compounds. For example, activated carbon with a million pores, which eventually become clogged with dirt, cannot be recovered. The peculiarity of chemical filtration is the removal of copper salts, compounds, proteins and carbohydrates dissolved in water.
Biological filter it provides living space for beneficial bacteria, and microorganisms process fish and plants waste in exchange. A substrate can play the role of a biofilter. Provide colonies of good bacteria for a couple of weeks for development. Then regularly siphon the ground so that the colony is in working condition. By the way, aquarium plants, snails and crustaceans are part of the biological filtration system.
Professional filters combine all methods, provide the best result – a safe environment for the inhabitants of the aquarium.
How to choose Fish Tank Filter
The solution of this problem involves the definition of a set of variables: the size of the aquarium, the lighting of the reservoir, the spectrum of lamps, filtration technology.
- The specific model of the Fish Tank Filter is designed for a specific volume of the reservoir, which is indicated on the box;
- a small internal filter or external filter canister require different maintenance. The less time an aquarist plans to spend on caring for equipment, the easier it is to choose devices;
- the larger the volume of the aquarium, the higher the population density of the fish, the more productive the filter is chosen. It is important that the filtration system copes with its tasks, and does not reassure the aquarist with a peaceful buzzing and gurgling;
- Certain species of fish do not tolerate a strong undercurrent created by the filter – take into account the habits of underwater inhabitants;
- reputable brands take care of customers – apart from filters, components are supplied;
- the presence of the aquarium cover imposes restrictions on the design of the Fish Tank Filter.