Filters for aquariums serve as the maximum care for your pets. Modern technologies allow to eliminate pollution without your participation, to ensure the flow of beneficial bacteria and microorganisms, as well as they mix layers of water, thereby giving the fish an optimum temperature in the aquarium and balancing the amount of oxygen. Today, the market provides a huge number of purifying filters, but which one of them knows better than all of them.
What is the filter for?
People who are new to acquiring an aquarium may wonder about the importance of the filter. In fact, this is an incredibly useful and necessary thing. After all, filters do almost all the work for you. And what exactly they are doing and why they are needed, let’s consider in more detail below.
All filters are equipped with up to 3 actions to clean the aquarium:
Let us consider the actions of each of the presented principles of work.
- Mechanical. Makes purification from particles of any size, turning water into clear and clean. Not the safest filtering, as it primarily provides a visual purification of water, without eliminating its toxic manifestations. For example, ammonia. It appears from the waste of fish and the remnants of their food.
- Biological. The principle of this work is to pump water through a sponge, which, in turn, collects debris and filters it. Beneficial bacteria multiply on its surface, eliminating harmful and dangerous compounds in water (ammonia). The sponge is easily removable and easy to clean.
- Chemical. This type of filtering is not always mandatory. It has special components that purify water from toxins and impurities. Most often, chemical filtration is required in the treatment of fish, or disturbances in the balance of water.
The types of filters as well as the purification mechanisms are divided into 3 categories.
Why each of the presented filters is useful, let’s look further.
- Bottom. This filter is equipped with technology to pass water through the soil. And the soil, in turn, maximally retains debris, and creates an optimal environment for the reproduction of beneficial bacteria. Bottom filter is not recommended for installation in an aquarium where there are plants, as they do not like the flow of water and a large amount of oxygen at the roots.
- Interior. This type of filter is made of filter housing and the same material. A small sponge is installed in the housing itself, which immediately performs both mechanical filtration and biological filtration. It neutralizes debris and harmful bacteria, and ammonia, with its help, turns into nitrites and nitrates.
- External. This filter has a very large size, and its work is carried out outside the aquarium. The principle of operation is the passage of dirty water through the hoses into the canister, there it is filtered, then the clean water flows back into the aquarium. It is intended most often for aquariums in which there is a large number of fish and other living creatures.
External filter rating
Now we will talk about external filters that have the best qualities in comparison with their counterparts. This list includes:
Let us consider in more detail the range of the presented list of filters.
The best of the external filters, suitable for an aquarium of absolutely any shape. The lifetime of this device is considered to be quite large due to the silicone insert at the very top of the filter. In the 3 compartments are placed various substances aimed at deep cleansing of water. The first compartment is equipped with coarse and thin sponges, in the second there is activated carbon, and in the third – environmentally safe ceramics.