No experienced aquarist will dare to breed fish without the necessary equipment to equip the aquarium. And a special role here is played by the filter, which is used for mechanical and biological cleaning of water, as well as for enriching it with oxygen.
But it is not at all necessary to buy an expensive device, it can be done on its own. The list of necessary details will depend on the type of filter, as well as on the size of the aquarium.
And if you’re interested, how to make a silent filter for the aquarium, This article is for you.
How to make a home external filter for the aquarium
Consider one of the options making a homemade external filter for aquarium.
The scheme of construction works as follows:
- the filter takes a cylindrical shape, the device will be positioned vertically,
- The electric pump is responsible for the movement of water, which must be installed at the top of the structure,
- water flows from the bottom of the structure through the fillers, and then goes back to the aquarium,
- filter materials – various filler options are possible.
For the manufacture of the device will require:
- two plastic pipes joined together with a rubber cuff inside,
- two plugs for pipe ends,
- electric pump,
- FUM tape,
- wrenches in the set.
How to make a silent filter for the aquarium
The following materials can play the role of filtering fillers:
Sinteponovye and foam elements: the cheapest and most affordable. They can take any form, and also play the role of a biological and mechanical filter. There is enough space in the pores to settle the bacteria. Periodically, the material should be flushed from clogging mucus.
Also, sludge particles will linger in the pores; in no case should it penetrate into the filter and interfere with its operation.
Filter wool: inexpensive filler that can be used several times, easy to rinse, tightly fills the entire space, eliminates leakage. It is optimum for use as the final stage of mechanical cleaning.
Ceramic tubules: used for colonization of bacteria in small pores.
In the lower part of the pipe it is necessary to make a hole for screwing the nozzle. It is necessary to wind its thread in advance with a FUM tape. From the inside you need to twist the nut.
To ensure that the water inlet opening is always free, it is easy to make a cap with small holes from a plastic bottle, and to attach a grid with holes from a CD over the top.
On the grid you need to put the fillers in two layers each, alternating with each other.
To hold the pump fit a piece of hose that attaches it to the water outlet fitting.
The water intake tube must be fixed with a sucker on the back wall so that one end rests on the bottom. It is enough to hang up the tube for bringing water to the aquarium to the aquarium, slightly lowering it into the water.
In this model, a homemade filter practically doesn’t catch the eye of the tube, the place in the aquarium remains completely free for its inhabitants.
This filter with a height of about 40 cm, a pipe diameter of about 10 cm, a volume of about 3 liters passes 5 liters in just one minute, while not creating a strong movement of water flows.
VIDEO OPTION 2
How to make an internal filter for the aquarium at home
Internal filters have a simplified structure, so making them with your own hands will not be difficult even for an inexperienced aquarist.
For making an internal filter for an aquarium required:
- a plastic bottle, for example, from a soda, with a volume of 0.5 liters,
- piece of sintepon,
- plastic tube that matches the diameter of the neck,
- pebbles for filler,
- hose and compressor.
- The bottle should be divided into two parts, but so that one is smaller than the other. A smaller part should remain with the neck. The bowl must be directed upwards with the neck and with force, so that the construction is dense.
- Then along the outer circumference it is necessary to make holes for the entry of water. Their diameter should be about 3-4 mm, it is better to place in two rows of 6 holes in each.
- Next, in the neck of the bowl you need to insert a pipe. At the same time between the neck and the pipe can not leave gaps.
- The length of the tube should be enough for it to protrude slightly above the surface. But the design itself should not lie at the bottom, so as not to impede the flow of water.
- On the bowl on top you need to fill a layer of gravel, and then a layer of synthetic winterizer. Next in the tube you need to install the hose and secure. This design should be placed in the aquarium. After the compressor turns on, the device will work. After some time, live bacteria will appear in the device, which are necessary to dissolve ammonia into nitrates.
The principle of operation of the filtering device is as follows: it is completely based on airlift. Air bubbles penetrate into the tube, and then move up and sinking water flows.
Oxygenated water penetrates the upper layers through the gravel, then moves through the holes made downwards and goes down the tube to the aquarium. The task of cleaning is performed by the sintepon, it will help the gravel not to silt.
Bottom filter for aquarium do it yourself
Consider several options for bottom filters that are suitable for small aquariums up to hundreds of liters. You can also make these schemes bottom filter for a round aquarium.
Bottom filter from plastic box
The body of the device will be performed by a durable plastic box with a lid that tightly closes the box on top. In this case, it is desirable that either the body itself or the cover is well viewed so that the level of contamination can be monitored.
A plastic tube should be glued into the cover. On the side wall, you need to make a few holes, but such that through them the small inhabitants of the aquarium are not sucked into the filter.
Bottom jar filter
As a body for the future construction, a conventional glass jar with a volume of up to 1 liter will be used. It must be tightly closed with a plastic lid and a hole must be made in it so that the water goes inside and also a hole for the tube.
From one more cover it is necessary to make a partition and to lay filtering material.
A ceramic vessel filled with quartz sand and nylon filaments can replace a glass jar.