A pond on a country site is a dream for many people. However, digging and decorating it is only half the battle.
It is necessary to take care of it regularly and correctly, otherwise a neat reservoir will turn into a swamp. In this regard, you will have to take care of the filtration system.
The filter for a small decorative pond costs an average of 10 thousand rubles, and the treatment system for a pond with fish costs many times more.
In order to save, you can assemble a cleaning installation with a filter with your own hands.
Depending on the method of cleaning the system are:
They must remove organics and chemicals such as nitrates or ammonia, which are dangerous to living organisms and cause water to bloom, and also delay all kinds of mechanical inclusions.
When assembling a filter for a pond, different filtering fillers are used by hand, for example:
- plastic bio balls;
- foam sponge;
Self-made devices can be of different designs and with different cleaning capacity (depending on the volume of the pond).
In the article we will take a closer look at how to make small filters for decorative ponds and assemble an efficient treatment plant for a pond populated with fish.
Option one – do it yourself a simple submersible filter with a straw
For a small pond fit the simplest filter, collected from scrap things.
It works according to the following principle: the air moves along a straw from the compressor and overcomes foam rubber, and then enters a tube of a larger diameter and together with the cleaned foam water it is outside.
To make this compact device, you need the following materials:
- foam rubber;
- a piece of hose 20-40cm;
- straw (preferably thicker – 5-7 mm in diameter);
- durable thread (suitable kapron);
- long wooden skewers.
Filter for the garden pond do it yourself
Next, proceed directly to the manufacture of the filter:
- Foam rubber cut into identical pieces of square shape (15×15 cm);
- On a cardboard template in size of these pieces we mark a round hole strictly in the center (3-4 cm in diameter);
- Cut out round holes in the foam;
- You need to cut through all the prepared pieces, except for one. The number of foam squares depends on the thickness of the material;
- The left solid piece of foam rubber is cut to the middle to a depth of half the thickness of foam rubber. We insert a tube into the slot, so that the long part lies along the length of the groove, and there are two tails left outside (as in the photo).
- All prepared and holed pieces need to be collected in a column with a height of 30-40 cm and fix. It is convenient to use a thread for this: we tie it with one end to a skewer, and then with a needle we sew all the squares along one corner, and then do the same for the three other corners;
- The hole in the upper segment of the foam rubber is closed with a cut out piece of foam rubber with a hole made corresponding to the diameter of the hose and we pass through it a piece of hose through which the water after cleaning will return to the pond;
- We connect a low-power compressor to this tube and immerse the installation on the bottom.
- So that a piece of hose does not stick out of the pond, it can be disguised as a flower.
With the help of such a miniature device you can clean small ponds with a capacity of up to 1 cubic meter.
Option two – how to make a filter for a decorative pond from a small container
If the reservoir holds up to 5-8 cubic meters of water, you will need a more efficient cleaning system.
Such filter for summer pond do it yourself can be made from a small plastic container. On top of it should be sealed cover, securely fixed to the body.
The unit works elementarily: the pump sucks water into the container in which the filtering component is located, and then the purified liquid returns to the pond.
For the manufacture of the filter will require:
- medium size plastic container (about 60 * 30 * 30 cm or so);
- siphon for discharge;
- submersible pump with capacity up to 1000 l / h;
- silicone based sealant;
- foam rubber;
- fitting with a nut;
- hose clamps;
- hard washcloths;
As a filter component suitable:
- expanded clay wrapped in agrofibre;
- foam sheets;
- plastic mats with holes (they are usually laid near the entrance doors) or plastic / rubber mesh;
- washcloths or sponges, etc.
We make the cleaning device as follows:
- From the side at the bottom of the tank we drill a hole for the siphon through which water will penetrate inside. We use sealant for reliable connection.
- The outlet of the hose to the pump will be located on the opposite side in
top of the container. We drill through the wall and tightly fasten the fitting.
- Attach the hose to the fitting, and connect the other end to the pump.
- Cut the desired size (for the size of the container) mesh of the selected material. It is placed in the very bottom of the container (you can install it on plastic legs) just above the water inlet hole from the siphon.
- Filling the container with the selected filtering filler is better to use a multi-layered version. First, small filter elements (plastic bio balls) are laid, then foam is poured in two or three layers. The last layer should not enter the water outlet. Then a rubber mat is placed that fits the size of the container; it will prevent the foam rubber from moving under the pressure of water. Tightly close the lid.
- We install the structure on the prepared place so that it
stood firmly and did not move under the action of the vibrations of the pump in operation.
- We connect the pump to the mains and protect the outlet from moisture to avoid
- After this, make a test run of the assembled installation and make sure that the water normally circulates through our cleaning container.
Do not forget to periodically clean it, washing the filler from collecting in the sludge and dirt.
Option three – a large homemade filter to clean the fish pond from the barrel
For large reservoirs populated with fish, the above installations will not work because of insufficient capacity, but a more powerful homemade system can be made. Its cost depends on the filtering material used and pump power.
Filters for fish ponds differ from systems for ordinary water bodies in that they must trap the waste products of the inhabitants.
Therefore, the installation should be more powerful.
Constructively filter for a reservoir with fish from the barrel it is similar to the previous system from the container, but differs in larger dimensions and the powerful pump.
To clean 50-60 cubic meters, an installation will be required, consisting of:
- 200-liter barrel;
- taps and fittings;
- filter materials to trap dirt;
- pump capacity up to 3500-4000 l / h; mesh with a small cell;
- hose or PVC pipe.
As the filtering components we will use several fillers. A plastic barrel with a lid is suitable for the body, but you can use a metal one, it will not expand when the top layer is clogged.
Also, when using a plastic barrel, you will be limited to the maximum power of the pump, which will affect the efficiency of the system.
To assemble a compact sewage treatment plant, you need to do the following:
- We make two holes in the bottom of the barrel: water will be pumped through one and the sediment can be drained from the other when the filter is washed.
- Hermetically attach fittings, to one of which (to drain dirty water) fasten the valve, and leave the second free.
- We fall asleep at the bottom of the expanded clay or seashells for rough cleaning.
- From above we lay a layer of ceramic rings or bio balls.
- Next, lay out a layer of fine-meshed mesh.
- From above we lay a layer from sintepontovy rings, foam rubber or another
porous synthetic material.
- We press all with several bricks so that under pressure the layers do not
- We drill the wall above the upper layer and screw the fitting into it.
- We connect to the upper fitting a hose through which the purified liquid will return to the pond.
- To the lower fitting, which remained free, we attach the valve and the hose, and connect its second end to the pump.
- We connect the pump to the mains, set the design to the planned location and run.
Dirty water from the pond will be fed into the lower part of the barrel with a pump, after which it will overcome all cleansing layers and exit through the hose from the top and return to the reservoir.
To clean the filler, turn off the tap near the pump and open the drain tap. In the hose, which enters the barrel in the upper part, we pressurize the water under pressure and leave it for 10-15 minutes so that all the dirt can be washed through the bottom.