Eliminate the leak
The reason for the leak is the damage to the gluing. Over time, the sealant that connects the glass at the junction loses its properties and is damaged. To fix the problem, you can do an aquarium repair yourself. If the aquarium has flowed, you need to do the repair before preparing the tank for repairs.
Preparation for repair
Temporarily move the fish and inhabitants of the aquarium to another container. If this is not done, the fish will experience stress due to the intervention. It is desirable that the vessel serving as a temporary habitat, was spacious. Place the aquarium plants there or place them in a separate jar.
Add water from the aquarium that is leaking to prevent abrupt changes in parameters and not to disturb the bacterial balance of the aquatic environment.
Wash the object to be repaired outside and inside with a sponge, and remove the soil. After that, dry the tank, this will help paper napkins.
After cleaning and complete drying of the outer part, an external examination is performed. It is necessary to identify places that are leaking. The lateral joints between the panes often require repair. To detect cracks, the reservoir is filled with clean water, a paper napkin or corrugated paper is applied to the outer surface of the glass. The paper is held at each site for several minutes. A leak will be found even if the damage is visually imperceptible.
When repairing an aquarium at home, glass that cracks pass through the entire surface must be completely replaced. When water is poured into a glass vessel, internal pressure is created, and even if everything is stuck, and nothing leaks, the glass will sooner or later burst.
If the cracks are small, they can be sealed with sealant for the aquarium. Do not drain the water, mark the place to be repaired. After making sure that all problem areas are marked, drain the water.
We seal the aquarium
Removing old sealant
When the surfaces are dried, clean the wetted sealant from the joints being repaired. A knife or a nail file can cope with clearing large gaps, a blade is suitable for narrow openings. At this stage, will require skill and patience. When the glass is cleaned from old glue, the surfaces are degreased with acetone or medical alcohol.
Do not ignore these steps. A frequent reason for the flow of an aquarium, even after repair, is the lack of attention to preparatory work.
Subsequent phases of work
Having completed the training, you can seal problem areas:
- If glass is being replaced, prepare replacement material in advance. The glass panel can be made of plexiglass. All joints and ribs are abundantly coated with glue, then a new glass is put in place and glued with a rope. Wind the tank vertically and horizontally. An hour later, you should repeat the operation.
- If a leak is formed at the junction of the walls, a sealant is applied along the seam and rolled into the depth with a knife or a nail file. For good results do not feel sorry for the glue.
- Spray silicone over the seams with a damp sponge.
- Wait until it is completely dry; this should take at least a day.
- When everything is ready, do not rush to run the fish in the tank. First, the aquarium is tested for quality gluing. To do this, you must fill it with water and watch for leaks. If a leak occurs, you will need to repair the aquarium again.
- After high-quality work, the test liquid is poured out, the tank is filled with old water along with fish and plants.
In order to seal joints with high quality and neatness, it is necessary to seal the cracks:
- When choosing glue to read the attached instructions.
- After the aquarian inhabitants return to the repaired tank, the compressor should be intensified for 2-3 days.
- When you close the seams, you can accidentally stain the aquarium glass, so the space along the seams should be covered with tape used for painting windows.
- Having gained experience, it is possible to carry out a routine disassembly and replacement of the sealant to eliminate sudden leaks.
- Make sure that the fish have a spare aquarium in case of temporary relocation. It is required when the main cracked, as well as in the event of illness, cleaning or spawning fish.
- In order not to disturb the sealing of the vessel, it is necessary to use a metal algae scraper with special care.
By showing patience and perseverance, you will save on the purchase of a new house for fish and get invaluable experience in repairing a glass vessel.