If you brought a red-eared turtle, then it is important for you to know some rules on the selection of a filter for an aquarium.
Aquatic turtles feed on food that quickly deteriorates and pollutes the water, and they themselves also pollute the microflora in the aquarium with their waste products. So do not think that you do not need to clean the aquarium often.
Today, special filters, which automatically purify water and saturate it with oxygen, come to the aid of lovers of aquarium turtles. In this article we will describe how to choose such a filtering element.
What are the requirements for the water turtle filter?
In order to choose the right filter for aquarium turtles, it is necessary to take into account the technical requirements for them, learn about their species, and analyze their advantages and disadvantages.
So, as for fish, the filters are divided into external and internal.
- Internal filters for aquariums with turtles made in the form of a small plastic container. On the sides it is equipped with special slots through which water flows.
Inside installed cartridges with filter media, usually with a sponge. Over time, when useful bacteria grow in the filler, the sponge begins to work as a biological filter.
On top of the device is a pump with a diffuser, pumping water and saturating it with oxygen.
Internal filters are often used in aquariums of small volumes (50-100 liters), where small turtles live.
They can be placed in the aquarium in any position (vertically or horizontally), which allows you to install them in shallow aquariums.
Keep in mind that when buying an internal filter for a water turtle, it is worthwhile to consider installing it in a separate compartment, because turtles can bite the tubes.
Also, many owners of aquarium turtles complain about the low performance of the internal filter elements, because of what they quickly become clogged.
- To avoid all these shortcomings, you should get an external filter, especially the owners of one or several large turtles (with a shell length of 10-15 cm).
For such amphibians will require a capacity of more than 120 liters. When buying, the external filter is worth considering that it must pump at least 8-10 volumes of the aquarium per hour.
Externally, the design is designed as a canister. Water treatment takes place in a tank in the form of a tank attached to the outside of the terrarium.
The circulation of water from the aquarium to the filter and back is provided by a pump through the intake and exhaust plastic tubes.
Inside the canister there are several compartments for different types of fillers that clean water polluted by turtles.
Also, as in the external filter elements, bacteria multiply in the fillers of these devices, ensuring effective biological water purification.
The advantage of external filters is their high performance, saving space and the absence of contact between the parts of the filter element and turtles, as it is located outside the terrarium.
What to buy – a review of external and internal filters
A large selection of Fish Tank Filters for turtles makes you think about which device is better and which one to choose.
We offer to your attention several reliable and productive options for aquariums of 50-200 liters:
- Aquael Asap 500. Internal filter with a capacity of 500 l / h. The filter design allows it to work at a shallow depth (about 10 cm). The upper part of the device is equipped with a compartment for the filler (sponge), and the lower one with an engine.
The filter provides biological and mechanical water purification. He also creates a falling stream of water, saturating it with oxygen.
Benefits: quiet; to replace the sponge, it is enough to detach the container without having to remove the entire filter.
Disadvantages: fragile plastic; inconvenient cleaning of the pump chamber. Cost: 900 rubles.
- Aquael Unimax 150. A good external filter for a canister-type turtle that cleans and oxygenates water. He passes through 450 liters per hour, while very economical. Dimensions: 26 x 22.5 x 35 cm.
Benefits: the presence of a sprinkler head for aeration; silent; thanks to the transition unit, the hoses can be disconnected without removing them from the terrarium; built-in automatic water filling system – provides an easy start.
Disadvantages: water may flow out from under the covers. Cost: 5350 rubles.
- JBL CristalProfi e701 greenline. External installation filter, purifying water through continuous circulation, which is provided by a pump that does not require maintenance.
Productivity: 700 l / hour. Dimensions: 18 x 21 x 35 cm.
Benefits: profitability; high performance; noiseless operation; the presence of bio-balls; giving the effect of self-cleaning filter.
Disadvantages: Manual pump does not always work for pumping water. Cost: 6000 rubles.
Good to know
Where and how to install filters in aquariums for turtles.
The internal filter elements are installed in the aquarium as follows:
- Fill the terrarium with water by half;
- Dry all filter parts before assembly;
- Immerse the device (not connected to the outlet) in the aquarium on the opposite side of the shore, where turtles are resting;
- With the help of suction cups we attach the structure to the walls of the aquarium – it should not touch the bottom;
- We take out the tube that takes the air;
- Turn on the device, after which the flow of water should appear.
The sequence of installation of the external filter:
- The ends of the tubes for the intake and release of water are immersed in opposite sides of the aquarium;
- We fill the device with water from the aquarium: to do this, we attach a hose for water intake to the threads on the filter cover. Open the tap and pour water;
- We attach a discharge hose to the device and pour water through the free end, after which we attach it to a plastic outlet in the terrarium;
- We open two taps on the filter and connect the outlet of the device to the mains – the water will begin to mix.
Attention! Filters for the red-eared tortoise need to be cleaned 1 time in 1-2 months, as these animals leave an abundance of waste in the aquarium.