Modern human life is surrounded by many household appliances containing various filters: water purification filter, air purification filter, Fish Tank Filters, etc. But the proper operation of any filter requires careful maintenance and careful operation, so the question of how to clean the filter is always quite relevant .
How to clean the water filter?
Water supplied to apartments and houses does not always meet sanitary and hygienic requirements. Even if the apartment is equipped with the latest pipes from metal-based laminate, this does not guarantee the cleanliness of the water that goes into the taps, dishwashers and washing machines.
Important! The path that the water passes to the apartment often runs through pipes, whose warranty period has long expired. Over time, rust forms on the inner walls, debris appears, and coarse water filters are necessary to get rid of them. Such devices are installed on the pipes in order to stop large particles in the water and prevent them from entering the water supply system. If time does not solve the issue of how to clean the water filter, then its installation would not initially be expedient.
What can lead low-quality water?
The ingestion of large particles into the water leads to the risk of breakage of sanitary equipment and household appliances:
- mixers – their service life is reduced, leaks appear, hot and cold water do not mix properly;
- electric kettles – burns down the heating element;
- dishwashers – reduced service life;
- washing machines – can not cope with large particles in the water, which leads to clogging and damage to the built-in filters, as well as burnout of the heating element.
Important! Considering the fact that you would hardly want to change home appliances after a year or two, it is better to clean the water filter in a timely manner.
What are the filters?
The device of almost all filters has a similar structure. Inside the filter tube is a mesh, which helps to screen out debris, rust, sand. Such water purifiers are placed on the inlet pipe at the very beginning of the layout – where the distribution of supply to different rooms occurs: toilet, bathroom, kitchen.
Important! All filters have special taps designed to ensure that debris and dirt do not clog the filter itself. They are called gryazevikami. To prolong the life of the cleaner, mud drains need to be cleaned regularly.
According to the mechanism for removing suspended matter from water, the filters are:
- Surface – with the passage of water particles settle on the surface of the filter material.
- Depth – the so-called cartridge or disc filters. Water purification is performed in a separate cell, leaving suspension on the surface and inside the filtrate.
- Backfilling – water is purified by passing layers of granular materials of different structures.
Important! The technology of operation of any of the listed devices is the same – it is regularly necessary to clean the filter from the settled particles. The frequency of the procedure depends on the quality of the water passing through it, as well as on the technical characteristics of the filter. However, if you notice that the pressure has decreased or the water from the tap is of a dark color, then clean it off-schedule.
In the filling and depth filters, you can completely change the filter material. Cleaning the surface filters is not difficult, even for the average user.
Surface filter cleaning
Cleaning the filter consists of several basic steps:
- Shut off the water. If the filter is placed after the inlet tap, then turn the knob; if before – the ZheU service (housing office) can shut off the water.
- Use the key to unscrew the outlet on the mud tank. This can be done with an adjustable wrench. If the wrench is difficult to get to the place of installation of the filter, use a car candle key. The lid can not immediately give in, so apply a certain force (the lid does not unscrew badly if the sump is not regularly cleaned). If efforts do not lead to anything, then use engine oil: from the syringe, pour the oil into the junction of the cap with the outlet and after a few minutes make the next attempt.
- Check the condition of the sump cover gasket. It may require replacement. A gasket, in which the service life has expired, increases the risk of leakage from the pipe.
- Remove the main part of the filter – metal mesh. Rinse the net under water pressure. To clean clogged holes, use an old toothbrush.
- Clean out the sump.
- Assemble the filter in reverse order: insert the filter screen into the sump, put a gasket and insert the filter into the drain. Key wrap the cover.
- Turn on the water to check for leaks and correct installation of the cover on the sump.
- After turning on the water, no water droplets should appear on the filter.
Important! For prevention, repeat the procedure every 3 months.
Purification of domestic water filter
Many people use a household water filter at home, as the water supplied to us through the pipes contains a large amount of impurities. And the chlorine added to purify water from bacteria increases its content every year. From time to time, filters become clogged and need replacing.
They are usually replaced with new ones, but there are several ways to clean this type of water filter at home. One of the most simple methods looks like this:
- 700 g of ordinary rock salt pour in a container with water.
- Bring the solution to a boil.
- Immerse the filter in the saucepan.
- Boil the element in water for about an hour and a half.
- Pull the filter out of the pan, rinse it.
- Insert the item into place.
Important! Repeating such a procedure would be meaningless, but small savings are also pleasant.
Cleaning the drain filter in the washing machine
In automatic washing machines for collecting small debris: coins, loose buttons and other items that lead to clogging of the pump and drain hoses, a special filter is provided. This item also delays dangerous parts.
Important! If there are problems with the discharge of water, then the filter should be cleaned immediately. In normal mode, it is recommended to clean the element at least every 30 washes.
So that you have the opportunity to do it yourself, the manufacturers have provided access to the filter. Perform work in the following sequence:
- Locate the device – usually the lower part of the front side of the machine behind a rectangular panel, or behind a small door.
- To unscrew the filter, rotate it a few turns counterclockwise.
- Some models of machines are supplemented with a fixing screw, so in such a situation, unscrew the screw.
- Before removing the filter, be sure to place a tray to collect water under the machine, otherwise a pool will form on the floor.
- There is nothing difficult in cleaning the filter element: just remove the garbage and rinse the element under running water.
- Inspect and clean the hole in which the filter is located. Often there accumulates dirt, wool from knitwear and other garbage.
Fish Tank Filter
Modern aquarium filtration systems, regardless of the manufacturer’s brand and design volume, are similar to each other. To clean the Fish Tank Filter, you need to understand exactly what you plan to do:
- cleaning of filter elements;
- a comprehensive procedure involving the cleaning of mechanical elements.
Important! Cleaning of filter elements is carried out regularly, as well as when they are clogged. Full cleaning is recommended only in cases where colonies of microorganisms or something else interferes with the normal operation of the equipment. Clean the Fish Tank Filter elements should not be sterile, as you can kill the beneficial colonies of bacteria that are involved in the biological cleaning of aquarium water, and thus contribute to the maintenance of bio-balance in the aquarium.
Follow these guidelines when servicing an aquarium to properly clean the filter:
- Clean as necessary.
- Try to wash filtration and aeration as seldom as possible. The timing and frequency are purely individual.
- Do not clean items with soap and other detergents, as you will completely kill the resulting flora.
- Do not clean in hot water.
Well, now proceed to washing the cleaner:
- Disconnect the filter from the network.
- Remove the item and take it to the bathroom.
- Disassemble the cleaner: disconnect the blocks with the filter element.
- Remove the filter element from the container.
- Disconnect the safety cap.
- Disassemble it into two parts.
- Remove the motor by pulling it.
- Disconnect the air intake adapter.
- Wash all disconnected parts, including the filter motor.
- Clean the inside of the mechanical unit using a cotton swab.
- To clean the air supply adapter, use the needle to clean the hole.
- Reassemble the device in the reverse order.
- Install the cleaner in the aquarium.
- Connect the device to the network.
to content ↑
Air conditioner filter
The operation of the air conditioner assume free air circulation. In the event of a malfunction, the cause may be a clogged filter.
Important! Cleaners of modern air conditioners can be: mesh, pocket. If there is a pocket-type device in the air conditioner, then cleaning the filter yourself will not work, as it is strictly prohibited to wash it according to the instructions. If the device does not work with the required efficiency, then the device must be replaced. Cleaning strainers, unlike pocket filters, is easy.
In order to clean the filter yourself, you must follow these instructions:
- Disconnect the device from electricity.
- Unscrew the cap.
- Remove the filter.
- Rinse the cleaner with a detergent (preferably with antiseptic properties, but not aggressively).
- Sponge all contamination.
- Dry the cleaned device.
- Put the cleaner in place.
- Connect the device to the network and check its operation as a whole.
The property of mesh parts allows, without any harm to the quality of work, to periodically resort to such procedures, since neither washing nor drying does not harm them. Cleaning the filter in the air conditioner is not difficult, you just need to follow the technology and sequence of operations. When carrying them out, pay attention to the condition of the frames into which the filter unit is inserted, as well as the quality and structure of the rubber seals. If they are damaged or worn, carry out a replacement.
Important! Experts recommend to perform preventive work on cleaning mesh parts 1-2 times a month with active use of the air conditioner, but the main guideline indicating the need for such intervention is the deterioration of the device.
Filter in the hood
The hood, like any household appliance, needs periodic maintenance. The greatest difficulty that housewives encounter is cleaning the device from the grease deposited on the filter.
The cleaning process is reduced to the following steps:
- Unplug the device from the outlet.
- Carefully study the passport of the product, because for a quality cleaning procedure, the hood will have to disassemble.
- Remove the cap in the hood. In all devices, it is located at the bottom. Locate the locking clips, bend them back and, holding the lid with your hand, remove.
- Remove the filter. In all models, the cleaning device is different: in some, the filters are inserted into special slots, in others, they are fixed with special snaps.
- Prepare a container with warm water and soapy water. You can use dishwashing detergent that does an excellent job with grease.
- Remove the removed cleaner in a container with soapy water and leave it on for at least an hour.
- After a certain time, proceed to cleaning: use a soft brush and a special tool to wash the grease from the fine mesh. Intensive movements clean the device from contamination, paying attention to hard-to-reach places.
- Rinse the part with running water.
- Dry the cleaner naturally. You can not place it at the heat source: on the battery, near the gas burner, as this may reduce the efficiency of the entire exhaust hood and even cause its deformation.
- Install the filter element in the hood in the reverse order.
Important! Promptly clean the hood of fat by washing the filter. Do not wait for the device to practically stop removing odor and steam.