Prices for aquariums, especially large sizes, can be very high. However, if you put a little effort and patience, and also have the necessary tools, a simple square or rectangular aquarium can be made independently. We will tell you how to make an aquarium at home.
In order to make an aquarium with your own hands, we may need:
- Glass. An ordinary display glass will fit, which is sold in the building markets and workshops. Its thickness (in mm) is determined depending on the height and length of the intended aquarium. In the workshop where you buy glass, you need to ask to cut it into pieces of suitable size or you can do it yourself.
- Silicone glue.
- Electrical tape or adhesive tape.
How to make an aquarium at home?
According to this algorithm, it is possible to make even large enough containers, for example, to build an aquarium with 100 liters by your own hands.
- Using a file, we grind the edges of the glass so that they become smooth. This will increase adhesion to the adhesive, as well as protect you from cuts with sharp edges of the glass.
- We spread on the table or the floor of the aquarium as they should be bonded with glue, put adhesive tape on the edges. Degrease the face with alcohol or acetone.
- Apply on the verge of silicone glue. The thickness of the adhesive layer should be about 3 mm.
- We assemble the aquarium and fasten the walls with insulating tape. It is necessary to slightly press the walls to each other and tap on them, so that all the air bubbles come out of the silicone.
- Once again we coat all the faces with silicone glue and let it dry. Typically, the drying time according to the instructions ranges from 24 to 48 hours, but it is better to allow the aquarium to stand for a longer time without water.
- After a week, you can remove the insulation tape and check the strength of the gluing. Then you can pour water into the aquarium.